Monday, July 16, 2012

Games, games, games.

So as many of you know I finished Legacy of Kain...THANK GOD!!

But Chukkaque you haven't had a poll or anything in a couple of weeks, whats going on?

Well let's fill this void with some knowledge.

Since I finished Legacy of Kain and literally wanted to drown myself afterwards, I decided to take a minor break.  Legacy of Kain took me awhile to finish and I put in a lot more work than I did for Skyrim.(In a rough comparison anyways).  So as you noticed through the last play I revised somethings.

Which I'll explain later.

What I've been doing is playing a couple games and will give my quick review of the titles.

THEATRYTHM FINAL FANTASY 3DS:


I was really hesitant to get this game because I really didn't like the art style...example.

But honestly it's a pretty great game and I know "But it's a final fantasy rhythm game, I don't get it!" I didn't at first either.

Game play:

It plays a lot like Elite Beat Agents tapping, sliding and flicking in directions along with the music.  There are 3 basic music styles, Field, Battle, and event.

Field: 



In the field stages you typically play an overworld theme and your character runs along a path showing familiar areas from said game's song.  You can run across moogles who give you treasure, run into unlockable characters who also give you items and call chocbos to run farther in the stage.  Sounds simple enough, but that's where your stats and abilities come in.  You have roughly 2-3 1/2 minutes to get as far as you can in the stage.  So your Speed stat effects that and it changes for every character.  Not only that but you'll need higher luck to increase the chance of people appearing and to increase drop rates for rare items you'll want later.

Battle:



Essentially mock battles your party(four characters you select at the start of the game that can be changed at any time) fall into a traditional 4 person battle party.  Each character has a lane that notes will come down.  Each time you get a good or better your character will attack the enemy on screen and when its defeated another will show up to take its place.  Now this is where Strength, Magic, and Luck all play a part.  The stronger you are, the more enemies you will kill, same with Magic when its executed.  As they die you'll want more luck to increase their drop rate and rare drop rate.  When your HP hits 0 its Game Over.  Much like the ability to call Chocobos you can also call summons in battle.

Event:


In Event mode you will play a song along with mashed together sceens/cut sceens from the game.  Above we have Final Fantasy VIII.  In this mode your courser moves from note to note and you have to perform the actions as it hovers over them.  Much like calling chocobos and summoning aeons/espers/etc in battle, you can enter an extended version of each Event mode. 

There are other things in the game such as Dark Notes/Chaos Shrine in which you unlock notes from street pass or the one they give you in the game and every time you complete it you will get another note.  This is the main way to unlock hidden characters from the other FF titles.

There is also Challenge which allows you to play unlocked songs from Series mode or when you get enough Rhythmia(rm) points you can unlock bonus songs that are not part of Series mode.  They also have a very detailed Records sections and many trophies to unlock.

The thing though is if you're not a huge Final Fantasy fan or crazy into rhythm games, this probably is not the game for you.  I love rhythm games and love Final Fantasy so this game is ideal for me, but it is a lot of fun, the songs get very challenging, I've clocked over 40 hours and have 60,000+ rm, but thats just me!

Final Fantasy V:


I am very aware how long this game has been out, but I never finished it.  I only ever made it to the earth crystal place.  However I am about 15 hours into this game and I forgot how tough older games can be.  They give you almost no direction and you have to find out where to go on your own.  Theres no narrator to help you either, you have to find hints throughout random NPCs.  I keep thinking Im almost done but I never am.  Spoiler ALERT!!!!  I am in the sacred wood that X-Death starts on fire.  Well Im about to fight those sacred beasts that guard the inside of it anyway.  Was totally not expecting them to cast Fire3 on me over and over again half way through the fight.

Shadow Hearts 2:



This is a sequel from the first Shadow Hearts.  It takes place about 1 1/2 years after the first one.  The battle system is much smoother than it was in the first game and it still takes place in Europe for the most part.  Im only about 10 hours into this but it feels a lot like the first one, especially since you start the game seeing Yuri(main character in this game and the last game) in one of his very final Fusions.(Fusions are an ability Yuri has where he can transform into various creatures after collecting enough souls)  But something happens story wise that makes him start over.  Classic RPG mechanic *cough*Kingdom Hearts...



But this is about it on my end.  Im planning on playing a couple other games soon FFIV and FFIII DS remakes are on my to do list, but I also have Xenosaga II to play as well.  Once I finish FFV though I think I'll start another poll to see what you guys wanna see.  Until then, thanks for reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment